Wednesday, August 27, 2008

In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

I have been called an anachronism, with my multiple xterms, emacs and a command-line compiler. Can one really say their productivity is enhanced by IDEs and GUI tools? Not that I don't use these tools on occasion, but my ability to work largely without a mouse enhances my programming experience. I prefer to tell the computer what to do versus asking-- an imperative versus interrogative interface to the capabilities of the system. A now even more dated book on the subject is Neal Stephenson's In the Beginning Was the Command Line.

3 comments:

klrvagabond said...

You should definitely post some more blog entries; I'm running out of things to do while at work.

hexhead said...

See today's post for more fun with "P". That should give you some tangential fun :)

hexhead said...

I have recently switched from emacs to Netbeans for just about all my major work, particularly C++. (I worked for Mxim Magazine where I had to use it for J2EE stuff- BAH!) I am also working from a Mac Mini and OS X instead of Linux now, as far as my desktop is concerned. I still use both in my work. It's unavoidable, not that I want to avoid Linux. For high-performance, scientific computing, there's no substitute for Linux. I hope all these transgressions don't affect my capital "P" status. LOL.